Being the last week of the primary elections I fully expected this weeks Howard County Times edition to be full of political ads I was disappointed.
With a circulation of 20,000 I am surprised more candidates didn’t take advantage of the exposure.
However, the Times did do its continued coverage of various races providing free publicity for many of the candidates. There were a lot of letters pro and con for various candidates also providing free publicity for the candidates.
The only ads I saw were for:
John White for U.S. Congress in the GOP Primary. This is a a color ad based soley on illegal immigration and features an endorsement from Ivan Betancourt, President of the Howard County Republican Club. Ivan hails from South America and is a naturalized US Citizen and an all around great guy. It is a large three column ten inch ad.
Jim Fitzgerald for Sheriff in the Democratic Primary. This is a black and white three column 5 inch ad. It includes an endorsement from States Attorney of Howard County Tim McCrone, Howard County Police Officers’ Association, Columbia Democratic Club, Baltimore Council of AFL-CIO Unions, and the Howard County Sheriff’s FOP.
Greg Fox in the Council District Five Primary. The largest and most impactful ad was his full page full color ad.
Greg pulled out the big guns with support from Governor Bob Ehrlich, Lt. Governor Michael Steele (“Greg has the character and integrity required for public office.”). It is also accompanied with photos of Greg with Bob Ehrlich, Michael Steele, Allan Kittleman, and the Fox mascot with Kendall and Bob Ehrlich.
Of course he has the continued support of State Senators Allan Kittleman and Sandy Schrader (no surprises). Finally it touts his endorsement by the Howard County Times.
Warren Miller in the Republican Primary for House of Delegates District 9A. This is a five column five inch black and white ad. It was paid for by the one of his many supporters, the Maryland Realtors PAC. It touts Warren’s commitment to affordable housing, protecting homeowners, buyers, and small business, and his work on “Brownfields” laws.
William Donald Schaefer for Comptroller in the Democratic Primary. This is a classy ad and is the second best in that it really grabbed my attention in its simplicity and straight forward message. But kind of looks like a memorial. It touts his lifelong public service.
Notably missing was an ad from Guy Guzzone or the slate he is running on. What is he doing with his $150,000? He could have bought any page in the Times that he wanted.
Also, I expected an ad from Ken Ulman just to put the final nail into Harry Dunbar’s campaign. It will be very interesting to see how many protest votes Dunbar picks up on Tuesday. It will be very telling for the General Election.
I paged through the paper five times. I don’t think I missed any ads. Let me know if I did.
As I said, Times covered some of the contested primarys so a lot of candidates got free press.
- Dunbar v Ulman – County Executive
- Fox v Livesy – Council District 5
- Feldmark v Sigaty v UNCommon, X – District 4
- Turner, Quinter, Guzzone, Basu and Pendergrass – House of Delegates District 13
- Becker and Bernhardt v Titman – County Circuit Court
- Cave v Fitzgerald – County Sheriff
- 3rd Congressional District
Then of course their was the plethora of letters to the editor. Some seem planted. You decide which ones.
- Three pro Livesay Council District 5
- One anti Fox Council District 5
- Marna McLendon (former States Attorney) against Livesay and for no one
- Kathleen Sappington for Greg Fox
- Angela Beltram (COPE – I think this is the 3rd letter in a row) against Guzzone and Ulman following up on her promise to remind voters who voted to pass the comp-lite legislation.
- One for Peter Beilenson for US Congress
- Two pro Titman for Judge
- One pro Fitzgerald for Sheriff
- One pro Cave for Sheriff
- Two pro Sigaty for Council District 4
- Three pro Feldmark for Council District 4
- One pro Dyer for Board of Education
- Two pro Ulman for County Executive
- One pro Zou for Board of Education
- Two anti Hollinger for Congress
- One anti Guzzone for House of Delegates